Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Been a long time...

I have decided to make resolutions for 2007. This will be a first for me. I know… I’m soon to be 32 years old and if I haven’t been in the habit of making resolutions, only to break them later on, why should I start now?
Because I’ve decided to make a difference… both for myself and the future.
This is typed in a deep resounding voice on “the future”.


Resolution One
I will be more environmentally conscious.

I’ve always been a recycler. Ever since I was a kid. As a child, it was my job to stand in the driveway on a hot summer afternoon and step on cans. Coke cans… usually diet actually. Those were my mom’s. Squirt cans… those we’d buy up north when we’d visit the grandparents and cart back down for my dad to drink. And whatever else happened to be on sale at the IGA.
I’d squash those cans as flat as my little feet and legs would allow. Then I’d throw them back in the garbage bag and when there were enough to warrant a trip to the recycle place, my parents would plop me and my bags of flat cans in the car and off we’d go. I always got to keep the money I made from recycling aluminum. Once I think I even made as much as $5 or $10 dollars. It was a lot of money for me… and even more for pop cans!
So I grew up with the recycling cans thing in my head. I joined Environmental Club in high school... and when I went off to college and realized the dorm didn’t have recycle bins, despite having soda machines, I was the one who made my own bins and put them in the hallways.
But now I’ve decided that isn’t enough.

I am going to add two new things to my hippie side:
1. I am going to discontinue allowing grocery stores to waste plastic bags on me. They throw two items in a bag and then double bag it just in case. At one point, the bags were useful. I would clean my cat’s litter box with them or line the garbage can in the bathroom with them. Well, my cat passed away just over a month ago… and I have enough plastic bags stuffed in the sausage shaped cloth thing hanging from the kitchen pantry doorknob to line a lifetime of bathroom garbage cans!! So I’m switching to canvas.
I hear that bag boys get annoyed when you hand the canvas bags over for your groceries. I hope that’s not true. Why do they care what bag they put my food in? It’s still the same job.
2. I am going to purchase those less energy using light bulbs.
Not because I think they will save a lot of money… although from what I understand, they will if you continue to use them over time.
I just like the idea of it.
And I don’t like the idea of global warming so much… but worse would be global cooling… I’m always cold as it is. Even living in Florida. But that’s beside the point. Energy efficient light bulbs. Good idea. This is typed in a very resolute manner. Ha! Get it?? Resolute… these are my reslolutions? Ha!!

Resolution Two
I am going to eat better, work out more, and lose weight.

Yes, I am quite aware that this one is always everyone’s yearly resolution. I know the gyms become overly crowded in January and much less so by March… if not earlier. However, I already belong to a gym. I pay $40 a month for the privilege. I joined last summer and was actually pretty good about going a couple times a week for awhile. I recently have slacked off due to a horrid crick in my neck. But I am returning to the gym. Despite the lack of ability to turn my head to the left, I will attend step class once again! This is typed while sitting up quite straight in my chair with my head held high.
And with the hope that I haven’t made myself sound like some sort of Quasimodo.


As far as the eating better… well, that won’t take much. I have a candy jar on my desk at work. I brought it in when I began to work in this office just over a year and a half ago. In that time, I’ve filled it, my coworkers have filled it, my boss has filled it… and it is on MY desk… staring at me. Begging me to eat it.
And I’ve never been a light eater.
And that’s been okay. I’m 5’6. And until recently, I was about 120 pounds. I have a small frame and a high metabolism.
Well… my sister is getting married in February. I tried on dresses this summer and the size 4 fit. And that’s what I bought.
No more.
The size 8 fits.
8?!?!?! Not that an 8 is big by any means… but I’ve never been an 8!!!!
I don’t care if the saleswoman said it was my bust. So I didn’t try the dress on with a bra this summer… no one told me that it would make such a difference. She says it would have meant I needed a 6. Well then?!?!!? Why does the 8 fit??? And WHY, oh WHY have I gone from a 34C to a 34D?!?!?!
I suppose the guys will be thrilled, especially my guy in particular… and the less endowed girls will be quite jealous of the girl with the 34D.
But I hate it. I want my C back.
So I’m going to eat better… no more candy jar for Miss Tracy. I will be snacking on pretzels or crackers or fruit. And that’s that. I am going to lose the 20 pounds I have managed to gain since this summer. Hmph.

You think I’m waiting until January 1 to start my resolutions? No way. I’m starting now. Getting a head start on all those other resolutioners. And this is my way of showing you, and myself, that I can do it.


Thursday, December 28, 2006
140.5 pounds
1 hour step class


Last night after work, I went to the grocery store. I wanted to buy healthier snack foods and a couple canvas bags. I managed all right on the food I suppose. I got yogurt and grapes and those little 100 Calorie Packs of Ritz Crackers. They are really good by the way. A wee bit salty but good all the same. I also got some chicken and bean sprouts and scallions for stir fry tonight. But unfortunately Publix didn’t have any canvas shopping bags. This is typed sitting in a chair with a pouty face on.

So for Thursday my diet consisted of:
Morning:
Honey wheat pretzels
Lunch:
1 ½ slices leftover cheese pizza
1 bag of 100 Calorie Ritz Chips
1 pumpkin truffle from Swiss Colony
Afternoon:
1 bag of 100 Calorie Ritz Chips
Dinner:
Stir fry chicken with scallions and bean sprouts on a bed of white rice
Evening:
Chocolate milkshake
½ chocolate chip cookie made by my mum
(No one said I wasn’t going to eat ANY junk food… just cut back a bit)

Lots of water throughout the day. No soda… I don’t drink caffeine anyway…


Friday, December 29, 2006
140.5 pounds
20 minute walk on trails


Friday’s diet:
Morning:
Grapes
Honey wheat pretzels
Lunch:
Leftover chicken stir fry with white rice
1 bag of 100 Calorie Ritz Chips
1 pumpkin truffle
Afternoon:
Grapes
1 pumpkin truffle


Okay… I’m hungry now. But it’s almost 9 o clock at night. Am I supposed to eat this late if I’m trying to lose weight? But if I don’t eat, will I feel horrid all night and not get any sleep? Can I eat something small? Please?
Why haven’t I already eaten dinner? Well, after work I went with the girls to do some party shopping. When I say the girls I mean Amy, Amanda, and Kristen. And when I say party shopping I mean food and other requirements for our New Year’s Eve Bash!

You know, I was going to tell you all about it but I’m starving so I’m going to go find food instead.
This is typed with a scrunchy, pained look on my face.

Dinner (rather late):
Plate of rotini pasta with melted Velveeta


Saturday, December 30, 2006
136 pounds
Pas de Exercise other than walking the dog, which I do a lot of anyway


Ooooh! 136!!! I wonder if it made a difference that this time I was nekkid while standing on the scale… could my clothes have been adding 4 pounds to me?? Or maybe I’m just losing weight like mad from one step class!!! ; )

I woke up late this morning so:
Lunch:
Bowl of Frosted Flakes (with 30% less sugar)
Dinner:
Plate of rotini pasta with melted Velveeta
Evening:
Chocolate milkshake
1 Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup


Sunday, December 31, 2006
135 pounds
No exercise other than putting up decorations for the NYE party and again taking things down and cleaning up


Food wise:
Morning:
Strawberry yogurt
Afternoon:
Honey wheat pretzels
Evening:
Loads of junk at the party… so sue me. It’s a party.
Junk includes chips and queso… mini cream puffs and crab cakes… and beer… yuengling light though!


Momday, January 1, 2007
136 pounds
Lots of walking


Late lunch:
Pizza at The Loop… I was naughty and had pepperoni and bacon.
I also had a chocolate milkshake
Late dinner:
Bowl of corn flakes… no sugar!
And three fruit roll ups… oops.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, this took me forever to read! Hah. I won't complain, though. Glad to have you back, and I'm glad you're starting to put better stuff in your tummy.

Clothes DO add some serious poundage.

I was down to 119 when I got back from CA. My plan was to stay at that weight, but I was sick, and I couldn't work out :(

Good luck, and I feel your pain, sister. Here's to beautiful, HEALTHY bodies in '07.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

recycling is sexy. Just like you ;)

Some of the energy efficient lights look neat too.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Yay!
I'm back AND I have two whole readers!! : )
You guys rock!!

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home